Do you need to ship a mattress? Is the mattress too tall for your door frame? If so, how are you going to get it out of your house and into the truck without destroying it or hurting yourself in the process? If you face this problem, you are wondering whether bringing your mattress is a good idea. Would it be easier to buy a new one? Many people believe shipping a mattress would be difficult. However, with a little preparation and knowledge of where and how to get assistance, you can quickly transport your mattress from one end of the country to another. Stay tuned!
Should you ship or buy a new one?
Is it worth it to ship a mattress? The first thing to notice and understand is that this isn’t a tiny product. A logistics team might be included in the process, and you’ll have to come up with creative ways to safely store the mattress. When someone’s mattress cost is less than what they would have to pay a logistics team for transportation, they shouldn’t choose the shipment. If you’re moving for work or if your mattress is in storage, it makes sense to consider how much time and money are worth investing. Although there’s an option of making the purchase online and having it shipped directly to where you will be.
How much does it cost to ship a mattress?
It’s not easy to ship a mattress because it is usually very big, bulky, and heavy. This makes shipping mattress across country more expensive than other items you may have shipped in the past.
There is no exact price for shipping a mattress. However, you may expect it to be at least $300.
There are several factors to consider when calculating the cost of transporting your mattress. Some of the most important ones include:
- The dimensions and weight of your mattress. Heavier objects cost more because it limits how many other items the truck can transport;
- The distance between pickup and drop-off locations;
- How quickly you would like your mattress to arrive. Shipment costs go up the more urgent they are. The ‘slow route’ is less expensive than the ‘quick route.’ ;
- The vehicle you are going to use. Shipping a single mattress with a box spring is generally less expensive than renting a moving truck to move your mattress. When you pay for a moving truck, you pay to use the entire space in the back and the vehicle. When you ship a mattress and a box spring, you’re only paying for the space it takes up rather than the whole truck;
Finally, if you’re going to rent a moving truck to move the rest of your belongings, it might be more cost-effective to upgrade to a larger vehicle and fit your mattress inside with everything else.
There are other expenses to consider when adding up the total cost of transporting a mattress beyond just paying for the base price of transferring from one location to another. Some of these ancillary costs include:
- The price of any packing materials including a box, tape, and material to wrap and protect the mattress.
- Insurance that offers protection in case your mattress becomes lost or damaged in transit. If your mattress is still in excellent condition and worth more than the cost of shipping, then insurance prevents loss or damage during transit and may be a smart option. In addition, if you’ve ever opened a package that you were looking forward to receiving, only to find that it had been damaged into pieces, you understand how much aggravation there is and will want it to happen no more;
The price increases with mattress size, shipping distance, and expedited delivery.
Benefits of shipping
Let’s discuss what benefits the process of shipping includes.
- Shipping the mattress is safer for it than balancing the mattress on the top of your car or in the back of a truck;
- You needn’t worry about the mattress during the journey;
- It takes plenty of room;
- Driving with a mattress may be uncomfortable, block your line of vision and may lead to accidents;
- Seeing a mattress in the car in front of you is pretty annoying and concerning;
- There will be more space for other things that you need;
- You can damage your mattress;
- Specialists will work with it. Therefore, the chance that nothing will happen to the mattress is higher;
- Generally, shipping is cheaper than buying a new item.
Is it worth shipping the mattress?
If you’re moving very far from your current location then it would be best to look into how much shipping will cost and how long it’ll take for the delivery of your box spring as well as how heavy your mattress is.
Most people ship their mattresses because they cannot fit them in a car.
Firstly, you should find out what shipping will cost in your specific situation.
After the first step, you must pay attention to the state of your mattress. If it is uneven and saggy or causes you to pain no matter what you do, you certainly should get rid of it and do not worry about the issue. Also, if the charge to ship your mattress will be more than your mattress, you should not send it. In this case, you should not waste your time and money and just obtain a new one.
Nevertheless, if your mattress gives you elfish dreams and cures your pain, it must stay with you. Moreover, if your mattress is new, costly or you love it, obviously, it is worth keeping.
If you are trying to buy a mattress, you will face even more options. If you’re going to go shopping for a mattress, you may be overwhelmed by the variants. A budget mattress might cost anything from $300 to $1,000. Mid-range mattresses start at $500 and go up to $1,500. Luxury beds can cost anywhere from $1,200 to as much as $3,000.
It all depends on the cost of shipping because which option is superior for your situation is determined by how much you spend on transportation.
We have prepared some questions for you that will help you to make a decision:
- Why are you shipping it? Think about the necessity of the process of shipping in your situation and whether it is worth paying for it;
- What is the age of your mattress? You should use your mattress for 5-8 years. If your mattress is older, it may not make sense to invest a few hundred dollars to ship it;
- How much does it cost? In case you spent a lot of money on a luxury bed, shipping it is far more valuable than if it was a cheap purchase. You must think about the value of the replacement;
- What is the condition of the mattress? If yours is drooping and uneven, it’s probably time for a makeover! In that case, there is no need to pay for the shipping;
- What are your options for shipping? How much will this cost and how long does it take? The cheapest option may not be the best one;
- Whether your current mattress is actually meeting your needs for comfort and support? These characteristics are vital for making such a decision. You should choose whether to pay for shipping or buy a new one;
- If you’re not moving far from where you are currently living, how much does it cost to hire a mover?
- Whether or not the new location has furniture in it. If there are pieces of couches, chairs, tables and dressers already up at your new place then this will take away storage space for a mattress which may be needed if you have to pay for shipping.
Alternatives to Shipping a Mattress
If you’re having difficulties in deciding whether or not to ship a mattress, think about your alternatives.
- If you have friends or family who live nearby, ask them if they can help by storing your mattress for a few weeks. In return, offer to store their stuff as well when the time comes. If it’s possible, this is much easier than shipping and will save you money in the long run.
- Taking it with you. The mattress may make you feel uncomfortable in the car due to its size and weight. This item may distract you from the road that can lead to serious consequences. Never tie your mattress to the roof or bonnet of your car, this is dangerous and could cause a traffic accident if it comes loose on a busy road. If you have friends or family who will help, this option might be free but is usually difficult and time-consuming to coordinate the process on your own.
- Renting a truck to ship it yourself. When you hire a truck from a firm, you also pay for the driver. If you ship it yourself, though, you’ll save money because you won’t have to pay for the driver. Although renting a truck has its disadvantages, it also entails costs. You’ll have to pay for the rental, insurance, and gasoline, among other things. Although, the convenience of having your own vehicle may outweigh the expenses.
- Buying a new mattress is often a viable alternative to shipping your old one. In case your mattress is old and does not meet the needs, it is time to think about the purchase of a new one. In addition, you may go online mattress shopping, and these mattresses almost always come with free delivery, as well as a sleep trial that lets you test out the mattress with the option to return it if you aren’t satisfied. If you go this route, you can try to sell your old mattress or donate it to a local charity.
If these options don’t sound right, take a look at how to ship a mattress.
How Should you Ship a Mattress?
If you do decide to ship your mattress, how can you do it? This question is where many people ask themselves. So how does the shipping process work and how much will it cost? How long does a mattress that I choose to ship take before I get my hands on a new one at home?
As for how to ship a mattress, the answer is simple. There are a lot of different ways to cope with it. Some people have shipped their whole house full of items from furniture and appliances down to kitchenware and electronics.
The most important thing you need is patience. You are likely moving very large and bulky objects, so they will take some time especially if it is just one person doing the work.
Types of Shipping
Take a look at how to ship mattresses. Shipping mattresses can be done in a variety of ways from professional services to moving by yourself.
- The first way is to ship a Mattress through shipping companies including the mail service, UPS or FedEx. The vital thing you need to do is wrap your mattress in plastic sheets or blankets to protect it from dirt during transportation. You will be able to schedule morning time delivery for when you want it sent out and how much shipping costs in advance of how long they estimate the box size.
- Using a shipping pod. For these, you put your items into the pod, which is normally stored in a driveway or on the street in front of your home, and the company picks up and moves the pod on a pre-arranged day. This option makes the most sense if you are moving numerous boxes or pieces of furniture.
- Shipping store. This option is often the most expensive. You can take your mattress to a shipping store and have them do it for you, or hire someone.
- You can also use the ways given in the previous part of the article.
A Step-by-Step Guide
How to transport mattress? If you decided to ship your old mattress, here you can find a step-by-step guide where it is everything that you need about how to ship it without any damage.
Step 1: disassemble it
First, remove everything from the mattress that’s not the mattress. Secondly, get it out. To remove the mattress from your bed, take the bed apart. Disassemble it and remove all of the parts, including a headboard if you have one. In addition, you should vacuum the mattress, bed frame, and wash the bedding.
You may also pack your bed frame together with the other components if you want it to be carried. You’ll need a small bag and all of the nails for the structure to fit inside of it securely. Take out any screws and place them in a separate container for safekeeping. If you want to take them with you, separately pack your comforter, pillows, sheets, and whatever else you have on top of your bed. If you want to save space use vacuum storage bags.
Step 2: measure the size and weight
Shipping a mattress involves several steps and how to ship one depends on the size of your product. So you need to be aware of how dense it is, how long and wide it will be when folded up or rolled out flat. You also need to know how bulky each side is.
Use a measuring tape to measure the length, width, and height. Make sure you measure multiple times to avoid any human measurement error.
It’s critical to figure out the weight and dimensions of your mattress so you can get an accurate price for the transport.
The typical dimensions of a mattress are as follows:
- Twin: 38″ x 75″ and 45 – 50 pounds
- Twin XL: 38″ x 80″ and 48 – 53 pounds
- Full: 53″ x 75″ and 56 – 61 pounds
- Queen: 60″ x 80″ and 71 – 76 pounds
- King: 76″ x 80″ and 90 – 96 pounds
- California King: 72″ x 84″ and 92 – 98 pounds
Step 3: take a look at prices
The next stage in improving your shipment procedure is to know the quotes for the shipping.
Finding out how much it will cost in advance (what’s included and how much space there is), as well as considering that some firms do not actually ship mattresses, are a few of the things to consider.
The cost depends on the size, weight and category of your package.
You can know the cost of the shipping on the website of the companies. Try to visit quotes websites are where you may list the goods you wish to transport, their sizes, the pickup and drop-off locations, and other information. There are many companies that you can contact for a shipping quote:
- United Parcel Service (UPS)
- TSI Shipping
- Freight Pros
You may also request a discount or look for a volunteer to get the price down. Before making a decision, get a quote so that you can ensure it fits within your budget and whether or not shipping makes sense in your situation.
Use this checklist to make sure you have all the relevant information handy:
- The pickup address
- The destination address
- The length, width, and height of the mattress (rounding up since the box will add to these dimensions)
- The weight of the mattress
- The date for pickup or drop-off
- The date when you need the mattress delivered
- Type of furniture item you’re shipping
Step 4: get a mattress bag
You need to get a mattress box. These are fairly cheap but can be difficult to find in stores. You should also pad the bottom of your truck with some blankets or towels so that it absorbs any shocks during transportation and doesn’t scratch up the inside of your vehicle.
To prepare the mattress you need a plastic bag that will cover it, large enough so that it can fully enclose the bedding and any kind of additional parts. This type of bag may prevent contamination.
Another variant is mattress encasements, which zip on like a mattress cover but are much more protective and protect your entire mattress. They’re constructed of waterproof vinyl or cotton to prevent mould, germs, allergies, and pests like bed bugs.
If you don’t have a specific bag, look around your home for something. Any bag that can protect your mattress is suitable.
It should be able to zip up or tie together.
Step 5: pack it
First! You should prepare for packing. If you have an old box that fits your new package perfectly, it is probably a suitable option. Otherwise, use several thick blankets and wrap them tightly around your mattress before putting it in another box or container of some kind. Nevertheless, in case you have a special beg, it is the best variant. All in all, you can do this in many ways: bubble-wrap the mattress, shrink wrap or place it in a gigantic packing foam container. If you do not have any suitable equipment inside your house, you still have to put it in a cardboard shipping box.
The second step is to pack it according to the way you have chosen.
If your variant is a special bag or an old box, just put it in.
In case you have chosen blankets or a special tape (bubble wrap or plastic ones) you need to wrap up your mattress in a layer or two. This will prevent any scratches from occurring and keep the box looking good on the outside. Although, if you have a more expensive mattress that has been stored for some time, it may be wise to leave it how it is.
If possible, try rolling it up so that when you go around corners nothing shifts inside and no part is being squished by another. Also, there’s a chance of rain or snow during the shipping.
The purchase needs to be carefully packed. You will first want to make sure it is wrapped up tightly enough so that nothing can poke through or get damaged by anything else in your car/truck on its way there. You should also be certain that the mattress fits the box and there are no protrusions. There is no need to worry about how it will fit in your car because shipping companies have their own trucks and special equipment which they use for such purposes. Make sure that the bottom is taped well enough so that it won’t rip open during transportation and leave behind any unsightly stains.
I advise you to use tie-down straps or a strong rope to make the construction more steady and keep your bag closed.
Ask a courier to assist you in ensuring that the mattress will not be damaged.
Step 6: arrange the pickup
To have your mattresses delivered you have to call or email the company or people you have chosen to make initial arrangements and give them details about the process. Then, they will arrange how exactly everything needs to be done. Some couriers pick up mattresses from your address, whereas other service providers prefer you bring the freight to a certain pick-up point.
There are some points about which you need to arrange:
- The pickup address
- The destination address
- The date for pickup or drop-off
- The date when you need the mattress delivered
- The type of shipping
- If the company ships mattresses of your type
- Whether insurance is included in the price
Some of them are the same as about which you gathered the information.
What type of shipping is the best?
It depends on your budget, time of shipping the distance and, actually, the mattress.
What kind of packing should I choose?
It is also a really personal question. You should base on the materials you have, your budget, the mattress and the way you have chosen for delivery.
How to ship a mattress to another state?
It includes several steps:
1. Choose the right shipping company. Make sure to compare rates and services from a few different companies before choosing one.
2. Find out the dimensions and weight of your mattress. This information will be important for shipping estimates and for packaging the mattress properly.
3. Choose the right type of shipping container. Your shipping company will likely have specific recommendations, but you’ll generally want something that’s durable and spacious enough to accommodate your mattress without being too big or bulky.
4. Pack your mattress properly. This includes wrapping it in protective material (such as furniture padding or bubble wrap) and securing it inside the shipping container so it doesn’t move around during transit.
5. Label your package clearly and legibly with the shipping address, your contact information, and any other important details.
6. Choose a shipping option that meets your needs. If you’re shipping a mattress cross-country, for example, you’ll want to choose a shipping method that’s fast and trackable.
7. Ship your mattress. Once it’s all packed up and labeled, you can schedule a pickup with your shipping company or drop it off at a shipping location.
How to move a mattress without a truck?
If you are shipping a mattress, you’ll need to find a way to move it without a truck. Here are some tips on how to do that:
1. Use a furniture dolly: You can rent or purchase a furniture dolly specifically designed for moving mattresses. This is probably the easiest way to move a mattress without a truck.
2. Use a hand truck: A hand truck can also be used to move a mattress, although it may be more difficult than using a furniture dolly. Your mattress shipped to your door.
3. Ask for help: If you know someone with a truck, ask them if they can help you move the mattress. This is probably the best option if you don’t have access to a furniture dolly or hand truck.
4. Use your car: If you have a large enough car, you may be able to fit the mattress in it. This is probably not the best option, as it can damage your car and be difficult to transport, but it’s an option if you’re in a pinch.
5. Use a shipping company: If you need to move the mattress long distance, you can always use a shipping company. This is the most expensive option, but it’s also the easiest.
Shipping a mattress seems like a complicated task that requires a lot of effort. However, if you deal with the information you need and prepare for this process properly, you will ship your mattress without any damage. Everything is feasible.